Friday, November 5, 2010

Thailand: Part 3- Day 2

We have got fantastic plan for our 2nd day in Bangkok, visit the most talked Chatuchak weekend market.

To go here, we dropped off at Mo Chi train station and Chatuchak is just within a walking distance from there. It was about 11 am when we arrived and is already crowed with people. Maps of Chatuchak are given out for free just so you know which sections of the marker you want to visit and which not. This is also very useful as you'll get lost in it.


 


Again, wholesale items are everywhere. Imitations are so fine and cheap.






A must try is the coconut. Thailand is famous for its sweet coconut is is cheap as well. THB 600.


It is not allow to smoke in Chatuchak. You'll be fine with THB 2000 for doing so. Watch out!




In this place, there are quite many local artists who are not so famous, poor but with good piece of art. These people will stay here renting a stall and display their arts in hope for people to discover them.

I found this lady who paints mainly ladies faces.

 



Coconut ice cream! Don't ever miss this.




Some flesh in the shell

Topped with coconut ice cream and some peanuts

wala, nice and tasty. also come with a small cup of coconut juice.
 The place has become more crowed as afternoon approaches.


My mission to Chatuchak? To search for the Thais delicacies stalls. This is the thing that would send you on a sensory rollercoaster with ingredients as weird and wonderful. Not to reveal so soon as Dar-ann and I spent 45 minutes searched for this store. We asked the locals but none of them know what is "GRASSHOPPER". Googled grasshopper in Thailand. Written as ตั๊กแตน. Should have brought a picture to show them. 

So, this is the one and only stall that sell what I was looking for - The Crunchy Bits. At that point, I haven't deliberately planned to step out of my comfort zone, and yet I find myself staring a fried grasshopper in the eye, trying to pluck up the courage to pop it into my mouth.

Selling at THB 20 per scoop, I bought a little of all. Still not having the courage to try so I "forced" Dar-ann to go first. He was scared too but lovely enough to go before me. *touched*

"hmm..no taste" was all he commented on the huge grasshopper I put into his mouth.


babies grasshoppers

mother grasshoppers

worms

more worms




Finally my turn to bite the crunch..started off with grasshopper and followed by the rest.


I survived!

When they are alive
Well, they all turned out dry, crispy, oily and tasteless.


No comments: